Last updated 11/06/2022
You don’t need to avoid favorite family recipes that include animal-based ingredients. Many baked goods can be produced with easy, convenient substitutes.
Butter: You can use vegan butter, available at all major grocery stores, exactly as you would regular butter. Common substitutes are:
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter: It’s Vegan
Learn more: Vegan – I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!®
Country Crock Plant Butter
Earth Balance Spreads
Eggs: Eggs act as a binding agent in most baking recipes. Some of these alternative methods work better than others depending on the type of recipe. (Google can help with questions.)
- Flax Egg: Mix 2.5 Tbsp flaxseed meal and 1 Tbsp hot water, then stir and let sit for about five minutes; won’t act as a leavening agent, so use only for moisture.
- Common Flaxseed Meal Brands:
Trader Joe’s Organic Flaxseed Meal
Bob’s Red Mill Golden Flaxseed Meal
- Pro Tip: You can also use the same process and ratio for chia seeds if flaxseed meal is not available. Both are super healthy and work well!
- Applesauce Egg: Applesauce acts as a great moistener and, like chicken eggs, does not change the flavor of your baked goods; works best for recipes that use egg mostly for adding moisture. Use ¼ cup of applesauce to equal 1 egg.
- Mashed Banana Egg: Take ¼ cup ripe banana and mash it up to equal 1 egg; also works best for recipes that use eggs as a moistener.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar: For recipes like cake that need to add fluffiness; mix 1 tsp of baking soda with 1 tsp of white vinegar to equal 1 egg.
- Vegan Egg Replacer: For a literal replacement for egg, these alternatives work exactly as you would expect:
Follow Your Heart VeganEgg
Learn more: VeganEgg | Follow Your Heart®
Learn more: JUST Egg | JUST Egg
Chocolate: Plenty of “accidentally vegan” chocolate options are available at nearly all grocery stores; simply opt for buying baking chocolate or chips that do not contain any milk ingredients.
Trader Joe’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Enjoy Life Morsels
Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Morsels